What is the Yolk Sac Tumour (Liver)?
Yolk Sac Tumour (Liver) is an extremely rare malignant (cancerous) type of germ cell tumour (GCT). Germ cell tumours develop from reproductive cells such as the ovaries and testes. Usually, yolk sac tumours are of gonadal origin (develops from the ovaries and testicles), but in 5% of cases, they originate from extragonadal sites that are located in the lungs, stomach, liver, intestines, abdomen and chest.
Disease Etiology (Cause)
Yolk Sac Tumour (Liver) is a very rare cancer and the cause of the yolk sac tumour of the liver is unknown.
Signs and Symptoms
The patient with a Yolk Sac Tumour (Liver) may present with the following signs and symptoms. These are;
- A palpable (felt able) abdominal mass
- Pain in the abdomen
- Jaundice ( yellowish discolouration of the skin and eyes)
The following diagnostic tests and procedures can be used to make a diagnosis. These are;
- Physical examination of the abdomen and genital organs
- Complete blood count (CBC)
- Liver Function test (LFTs)
- Total, direct and indirect serum bilirubin
- Using other imaging techniques such as abdominal USG (ultrasonography), X-rays, computed tomography, MRI, and PET to determine the characteristics of tumours, their location, size, and the extent to the regional and distant parts of the body.
Treatment is mainly surgical removal of the tumour and chemotherapy.
What Support can we Give for Yolk Sac Tumour (Liver)?
Yolk Sac Tumour (Liver) is a rare cancer, meaning it is not as well known as other forms of cancer. Without a Ribbon is an Australian organisation that provides support for individuals who suffer from rare cancers. So, we provide a designated platform for Warriors to obtain information specific to their Rare Cancer. We also provide annual opportunities for our Warriors to meet and learn from each other. If you suffer from rare cancer such as Yolk Sac Tumour (Liver), we can help and support you through your journey thanks to the generous donations we receive. Click the link below to sign up and become a Warrior today!
You can help us with your donation:
Without a Ribbon is a charity that works hard to aid those who suffer from rare cancers. You can help our cause in a variety of ways: