What is Sarcoma of the Thyroid?
Sarcoma of the thyroid is a rare form of cancer that originates from the connective tissues of the thyroid gland. Sarcomas are typically associated with connective tissue structures such as bone, muscle, and blood vessels; however, they can occasionally arise in organs like the thyroid. Sarcoma of the thyroid is extremely rare. In fact, thyroid sarcomas account for less than 0.1% of all thyroid malignancies.
Sarcomas are a type of cancer that most often affect the connective tissues like bones, tendons, fat, muscle, and blood vessels. Because the thyroid gland contains small amounts of these tissues, sarcomas can theoretically arise there, but it’s very uncommon.
Symptoms of sarcoma of the thyroid can include:
- A lump in the neck that can be felt through the skin
- Changes in voice, such as increasing hoarseness
- Difficulty swallowing
- Pain in the neck and throat
- Swelling in the neck
Disease Aetiology (Causes)
The exact cause of thyroid sarcoma is not well understood. Like most cancers, it is likely to involve various genetic mutations that lead to the uncontrolled growth of cells. Specific risk factors for thyroid sarcoma are not well established due to its rarity.
The diagnosis of thyroid sarcoma typically involves:
- Detailed medical history and physical examination
- Imaging tests such as ultrasound, CT scan, or MRI to get a detailed look at the thyroid and surrounding structures
- A biopsy, where a small sample of thyroid tissue is removed and examined under a microscope
- Blood tests, including tests to measure the levels of thyroid hormones
The treatment for thyroid sarcoma often includes:
- Surgery: The primary treatment for thyroid sarcoma is surgical removal of the tumour. In some cases, the entire thyroid may need to be removed.
- Radiation therapy: This may be used after surgery to kill any remaining cancer cells, or in cases where surgery isn’t an option.
- Chemotherapy: While sarcomas are often resistant to chemotherapy, it may be used in some cases, particularly if the cancer has spread to other parts of the body.
What Support can we Give for Sarcoma of the Thyroid?
Sarcoma of the Thyroid is rare cancer, meaning it is not as well known as other forms of cancer. Without a Ribbon is an Australian organisation that provides support for individuals who suffer from rare cancers. So, we provide a designated platform for Warriors to obtain information specific to their Rare Cancer. We also provide annual opportunities for our Warriors to meet and learn from each other. If you suffer from rare cancer such as Sarcoma of the Thyroid, we can help and support you through your journey thanks to the generous donations we receive. Click the link below to sign up and become a Warrior today!
You can help us with your donation:
Without a Ribbon is a charity that works hard to aid those who suffer from rare cancers. You can help our cause in a variety of ways: