What is Lymphoma of the Thyroid?
Lymphoma of the thyroid is a rare malignancy that originates from the lymphatic cells present within the thyroid gland. These lymphatic cells are part of the body’s immune system. The most common type of thyroid lymphoma is non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma. It is a rare type of thyroid cancer, accounting for about 1-5% of all thyroid malignancies.
Symptoms of thyroid lymphoma can include:
- A rapidly enlarging mass in the neck
- Hoarseness or changing voice
- Difficulty swallowing or breathing
- Pain in the neck or throat
Disease Aetiology (Causes)
The exact cause of thyroid lymphoma is not well understood. It often develops in people who have Hashimoto’s thyroiditis, a chronic inflammatory condition of the thyroid. The inflammation associated with this condition may increase the risk of lymphoma.
The diagnosis of thyroid lymphoma typically involves:
- Detailed medical history and physical examination
- Imaging tests such as ultrasound, CT scan, or MRI to get a detailed look at the thyroid and surrounding structures
- A biopsy, where a small sample of thyroid tissue is removed and examined under a microscope
- Blood tests, including tests to measure the levels of thyroid hormones
The treatment for thyroid lymphoma often includes:
- Chemotherapy: This is the main treatment for most types of lymphoma, including thyroid lymphoma.
- Radiation therapy: This may be used in conjunction with chemotherapy or alone in early-stage thyroid lymphoma.
- Surgery: Surgical removal of part or all of the thyroid may be necessary in some cases.
What Support can we Give for Lymphoma of the Thyroid?
Lymphoma of the Thyroid is rare cancer, meaning it is not as well known as other forms of cancer. Without a Ribbon is an Australian organisation that provides support for individuals who suffer from rare cancers. So, we provide a designated platform for Warriors to obtain information specific to their Rare Cancer. We also provide annual opportunities for our Warriors to meet and learn from each other. If you suffer from rare cancer such as Lymphoma of the Thyroid, we can help and support you through your journey thanks to the generous donations we receive. Click the link below to sign up and become a Warrior today!
You can help us with your donation:
Without a Ribbon is a charity that works hard to aid those who suffer from rare cancers. You can help our cause in a variety of ways: