What is an Endometrioid Tumour of the Ovary?
An endometrioid tumour of the ovary is a type of tumour made up of cells similar to the endometrium. The endometrium is the inner wall of the uterus that lines the uterine cavity. This is a low-grade tumour; it grows slowly and has a low tendency to spread to other parts of the body. It is usually diagnosed at an early stage of the disease.
Endometrioid tumour of the ovary accounts for 10% of all ovarian cancers. The mean age for the development of an endometrioid tumour of the ovary is 55 years.
There is no well-known cause, but hormone replacement therapy, endometriosis, and a family history of breast cancer are risk factors for developing an endometrial ovarian tumour. Signs and symptoms The patient may suffer from the following signs and symptoms. These are
- Pain in the abdomen
- Distension of the abdomen
- Swelling or lump in the abdomen or pelvic region
- Pain, pressure, or feeling of fullness in the abdomen(belly)
Following diagnostic tests and procedures can be used to make the diagnosis. These are
- Complete blood count ( CBC)
- Serum tumour markers
- Imaging techniques like ultrasonography (USG), CT-scan, MRI, and X-Ray to detect the site, size, and extent of the tumour.
- Pelvic examination through per- speculum examination of the vagina, cervix, and ovaries. A speculum is a gynecological instrument used to visualize the vaginal wall, cervix, uterus, and ovaries to detect any abnormality.
Surgery along with chemotherapy is the most common and effective treatment for the endometrioid tumour of the ovary.
What Support can we Give for Endometrioid Tumor of the Ovary?
Endometrioid Tumor of the Ovary is rare cancer, meaning it is not as well known as other forms of cancer. Without a Ribbon is an Australian organisation that provides support for individuals who suffer from rare cancers. So, we provide a designated platform for Warriors to obtain information specific to their Rare Cancer. We also provide annual opportunities for our Warriors to meet and learn from each other. If you suffer from rare cancer such as an Endometrioid Tumor of the Ovary, we can help and support you through your journey thanks to the generous donations we receive. Click the link below to sign up and become a Warrior today!
You can help us with your donation:
Without a Ribbon is a charity that works hard to aid those who suffer from rare cancers. You can help our cause in a variety of ways: