What is the Teratoma (Spinal Cord)?
Teratoma (spinal cord) is a rare type of spinal cord tumour that contains several types of tissues such as hair, muscles, and bone tissues. Teratoma (spinal cord) usually originates from the middle and lower spinal cord. It is more common in children and very rare in the adult population.
Teratoma (spinal cord) is a very rare type of tumour that accounts for only 0.5% of all spinal cord tumours. There is no well-known cause, however, certain hereditary and genetic mutations are considered responsible for the development of teratoma of the spinal cord.
Signs and symptoms
The patient may suffer from the following signs and symptoms. These are
- Pain in the neck or back
- Pain, weakness, or numbness in the arms and legs
- Urine incontinence (occasional leakage of urine while coughing, sneezing, and laughing)
- Fecal incontinence (occasional leakage of stool while coughing and passing gas)
The following diagnostic tests and procedures can be used to make a diagnosis. These are;
- Imaging techniques like Chest X-ray, CT-scan, MRI, and PET scan to see the site, size, and extent of the tumour.
- Tumour biopsy (tumour biopsy to remove a small sample of tissue for histopathological examination)
- USG-guided fine needle aspiration cytology
Radiotherapy is the main treatment option for spinal cord tumours because it preserves the neurological functions of the spinal cord. The other treatment options are chemotherapy and targeted immunotherapy.
What Support can we Give for Teratoma (Spinal Cord)?
Teratoma (Spinal Cord) is rare cancer, meaning it is not as well known as other forms of cancer. Without a Ribbon is an Australian organisation that provides support for individuals who suffer from rare cancers. So, we provide a designated platform for Warriors to obtain information specific to their Rare Cancer. We also provide annual opportunities for our Warriors to meet and learn from each other. If you suffer from rare cancer such as Teratoma (Spinal Cord), we can help and support you through your journey thanks to the generous donations we receive. Click the link below to sign up and become a Warrior today!
You can help us with your donation:
Without a Ribbon is a charity that works hard to aid those who suffer from rare cancers. You can help our cause in a variety of ways: