What is Sinonasal Undifferentiated Carcinoma?
It is a rare and poorly differentiated cancer of the sinuses (nose) and paranasal sinuses (around the nose). Sinuses are empty, air-filled spaces behind the forehead, nose, cheekbones, and between the eyes.
It is rare cancer and makes approximately 3% of all head and neck cancers. The frequency of the occurrence of the disease is 0.02 per 100,000 populations.
Disease Etiology (Causes)
There is no well-known cause, but cigarette smoking and prior radiation therapy are risk factors for developing undifferentiated sinus carcinoma.
Signs and Symptoms
The patient may suffer from the following signs and symptoms. These are
- Bulging of the eyes
- Intolerance or sensitivity to light
- Ptosis ( drooping or falling of upper eyelid)
- Loss of sense of smell
The following diagnostic tests and procedures can be used to make a diagnosis. These are
- Imaging tests such as X-Ray, CT-scan (computerized tomography), PET-scan (Positron emission tomography) help detect the site, size, and location of the tumour.
- Complete blood count (CBC)
- Tumour biopsy and histopathological examination
- Nasopharyngolaryngoscopy (A camera device that is inserted into the mouth and throat to visualize the mouth, throat, and larynx to detect any disease).
Surgical removal of the tumour along with radiation therapy is the main treatment option.
What Support can we Give for Sinonasal Undifferentiated Carcinoma?
Sinonasal Undifferentiated Carcinoma is rare cancer, meaning it is not as well known as other forms of cancer. Without a Ribbon is an Australian organisation that provides support for individuals who suffer from rare cancers. So, we provide a designated platform for Warriors to obtain information specific to their Rare Cancer. We also provide annual opportunities for our Warriors to meet and learn from each other. If you suffer from rare cancer such as Sinonasal Undifferentiated Carcinoma, we can help and support you through your journey thanks to the generous donations we receive. Click the link below to sign up and become a Warrior today!
You can help us with your donation:
Without a Ribbon is a charity that works hard to aid those who suffer from rare cancers. You can help our cause in a variety of ways: