What is Parathyroid Carcinoma?
Parathyroid carcinoma is a rare type of cancer that originates from the uncontrolled division and multiplication of tissues of the parathyroid gland.
There is no well-known cause, however, certain hereditary and genetic mutations are considered responsible for the development of parathyroid carcinoma of the pancreas.
Signs and Symptoms
The patient may suffer from the following signs and symptoms. These are
- A mass, nodule, or lump in the neck
- Changing in the voice (Hoarse Voice)
- Increased blood calcium levels which can be detected on lab test
- Constant feeling of depression
- Excessive thirst
- Excessive need to go to the toilet to pass urine
- Loss of appetite (Hunger)
- Muscle weakness
- Difficulty in focusing on work
- Kidney stones and kidney failure
- Bone weakness
- Bone pains
- Constant feeling of tiredness
- Excessive sweating at night
- Unexplained weight loss
The following diagnostic tests and procedures can be used to make a diagnosis. These are
- Physical Examination of the neck (Doctor will examine the whole neck, neck glands, and body to see any signs of the disease such as a mass or lump in the neck).
- Complete blood count (CBC)
- Urine complete examination (UCE)
- Serum calcium levels
- Serum parathyroid hormone levels
- CT- scan, MRI, and USG (Ultrasonography) to assess the size, site, and extent the of the parathyroid carcinoma
- FNA (Fine needle aspiration biopsy of the tumor cells)
The prognosis (chances of recovery) of the disease depends upon the size and extent of the tumor along with blood calcium levels and overall health condition of the patient. Surgical removal of the parathyroid tumor is the main treatment. To control the elevated level of calcium in the blood, pharmacological (drug) methods can be used such as diuretic drugs (drugs that promote urination) and somatostatin analogs are prescribed to improve the condition of patients. Chemotherapy and radiation therapy are the other treatment options.
What Support can we Give for Parathyroid Carcinoma?
Parathyroid Carcinoma is rare cancer, meaning it is not as well known as other forms of cancer. Without a Ribbon is an Australian organisation that provides support for individuals who suffer from rare cancers. So, we provide a designated platform for Warriors to obtain information specific to their Rare Cancer. We also provide annual opportunities for our Warriors to meet and learn from each other. If you suffer from rare cancer such as Parathyroid Carcinoma, we can help and support you through your journey thanks to the generous donations we receive. Click the link below to sign up and become a Warrior today!
You can help us with your donation:
Without a Ribbon is a charity that works hard to aid those who suffer from rare cancers. You can help our cause in a variety of ways: