What is Epithelioid Sarcoma of the Vulva?
Epithelioid sarcoma of the vulva is an exceptionally rare and aggressive type of soft tissue sarcoma. This cancer typically manifests as slowly enlarging, firm nodules or ulcers and often mimics benign conditions, leading to potential delays in diagnosis.
Symptoms of epithelioid sarcoma of the vulva can include:
- A lump, nodule, or ulcer on the vulva
- Pain or discomfort in the vulvar area
- Changes in the skin of the vulva, such as discolouration
- Unusual bleeding or discharge
Disease Aetiology (Causes)
The exact cause of epithelioid sarcoma of the vulva is unknown. However, certain genetic mutations may be involved. No specific risk factors for this type of cancer have been identified.
Diagnosis of epithelioid sarcoma of the vulva typically involves:
- Detailed medical history and physical examination
- Biopsy of the lump or affected area to study the cells under a microscope
- Imaging tests such as ultrasound, CT scan, or MRI to determine the extent of the cancer and to check for spread to other parts of the body
The treatment for epithelioid sarcoma of the vulva often includes:
- Surgery: The primary treatment is the surgical removal of the tumour and a margin of healthy tissue surrounding it.
- Radiation therapy: This may be used post-surgery to kill any remaining cancer cells, or as the main treatment if surgery isn’t possible.
- Chemotherapy: Chemotherapy may be used, especially if the cancer has spread to other parts of the body.
What Support can we Give for Epithelioid Sarcoma of the Vulva?
Epithelioid Sarcoma of the Vulva is rare cancer, meaning it is not as well known as other forms of cancer. Without a Ribbon is an Australian organisation that provides support for individuals who suffer from rare cancers. So, we provide a designated platform for Warriors to obtain information specific to their Rare Cancer. We also provide annual opportunities for our Warriors to meet and learn from each other. If you suffer from rare cancer such as Epithelioid Sarcoma of the Vulva, we can help and support you through your journey thanks to the generous donations we receive. Click the link below to sign up and become a Warrior today!
You can help us with your donation:
Without a Ribbon is a charity that works hard to aid those who suffer from rare cancers. You can help our cause in a variety of ways: