What is Embryonal Carcinoma of the Ovary?
Embryonal carcinoma of the ovary is a rare type of tumour of the ovary that predominantly affects children and young females of age 14 or above. The mean age for the development of embryonal carcinoma of the ovary is 15 years.
Embryonal carcinoma of the ovary is a rare type of germ-cell cancer of the ovary and is caused by hereditary and genetic mutations (faulty alterations in the genes).
Signs and symptoms
The patient may suffer from the following signs and symptoms. These are
- Pain in the abdomen
- Irregular menstruation
- Heavy bleeding from the vagina
- A mass or lump in the abdomen
- If the tumour spreads to the lungs it can produce symptoms of chest pain, cough, and difficulty in breathing.
- Vomiting Blood
Following diagnostic tests and procedures can be used to make the diagnosis. These are
- Complete blood count ( CBC)
- Serum tumour markers
- Imaging techniques like ultrasonography (USG), CT-scan, MRI, and X-Ray to detect the site, size, and extent of the tumour.
- Pelvic examination through per-speculum examination of the vagina, cervix, and ovaries. A speculum is a gynecological instrument used to visualize the vaginal wall, cervix, uterus, and ovaries to detect abnormality.
- Serum B-HCG levels
Surgical removal of the tumour is the first-line treatment for localized ovarian tumours. Chemotherapy and radiation therapy is the treatment option for metastatic cases of embryonal carcinoma of the ovary.
What Support can we Give for Embryonal Carcinoma of the Ovary?
Embryonal Carcinoma of the Ovary is a rare cancer, meaning it is not as well-known as other forms of cancer. Without a Ribbon is an Australian organisation that provides support for individuals who suffer from rare cancers. So, we provide a designated platform for Warriors to obtain information specific to their Rare Cancer. We also provide annual opportunities for our Warriors to meet and learn from each other. If you suffer from rare cancer such as Embryonal Carcinoma of the Ovary, we can help and support you through your journey thanks to the generous donations we receive. Click the link below to sign up and become a Warrior today!
You can help us with your donation:
Without a Ribbon is a charity that works hard to aid those who suffer from rare cancers. You can help our cause in a variety of ways: