What is Scirrhous Carcinoma of the Prostate?Scirrhous carcinoma of the prostate is a type of cancer that develops as a solid (hard) fibrous tumor that develops in the tissues of the prostate and may invade other underlying or nearby tissues or organs. It has a tendency to metastasize (the spread of a tumor from its site of origin to other parts of the body) to nearby pelvic lymph nodes.
Disease CausesThere is no well-known cause, but certain risk factors such as cigarette smoking, excessive use of certain drugs, and heredity and genetic predisposition are thought to be responsible for the development of scirrhous carcinoma of the prostate.
Signs and SymptomsThe patient may suffer from the following signs and symptoms. These are
- Frequent need to pass urine (pee)
- Pain while passing urine
- Pain while ejaculating or sexual activity
- Blood in semen
- Urine dribbling (Leakage of urine while coughing or sneezing)
DiagnosisThe following diagnostic tests can be used to make a diagnosis, these are
- Digital Rectal Examination ( DRE)
- Imaging techniques like Pelvic-USG (ultrasonography), MRI, CT-Scan, and PET –scan to detect the size and extent of the tumor.
- Cystoscopy of the urinary bladder and the prostate
- PSA ( Prostate-specific antigen level)
- Trans-rectal needle biopsy
- Transurethral prostate resection