What is the Kaposi Sarcoma of the Penis?
Kaposi sarcoma of the penis is a rare type of cancer that originates from the uncontrolled division or multiplication of cells that form the inner lining of blood vessels, the extra growth of these cells of the blood vessels forms a hard mass or tumor on the skin of penis called the Kaposi sarcoma of the penis.
It is a rare type of cancer and accounts for approximately 5% of all cancers. The past infection with human herpesvirus 8 is a cause behind the development of Kaposi sarcoma of the penis. It is also common in AIDS patients.
Signs and Symptoms
The patient may suffer from the following signs and symptoms. These are
- Purplish or colored nodules or patches on the skin of the penis
- Wart-type masses or nodules on the skin of the penis
- The tumor lesions either grow very slowly or very fast
- The tumor mass or nodule in most cases is painful less while in a few advanced cases may become painful.
- Physical examination of the penis along with the whole genital area to see the type and extent of the tumor
- Imaging tests with the help of ultrasonography (USG), CT-scan, PET-scan, and MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) to see the size, site, and extent of the tumor cells.
- Serological test for HIV (Human immunodeficiency virus), Human papillomavirus (HPV), Herpes simplex virus, and sexually transmitted diseases (STDs)
- Tumor biopsy (a biopsy is a procedure in which a piece of tumor tissue is taken for laboratory analysis to determine the type of cells, cancerous or non-carcinogenic).
Wide surgical resection (removal of the tumor cells along with some healthy cells from the surroundings through surgery) is the main treatment option to cure Kaposi sarcoma of the penis. Other treatment options are chemotherapy and radiation therapy.
What Support can we Give for Kaposi Sarcoma of the Penis?
Kaposi Sarcoma of the Penis is rare cancer, meaning it is not as well known as other forms of cancer. Without a Ribbon is an Australian organisation that provides support for individuals who suffer from rare cancers. So, we provide a designated platform for Warriors to obtain information specific to their Rare Cancer. We also provide annual opportunities for our Warriors to meet and learn from each other. If you suffer from rare cancer such as Kaposi Sarcoma of the Penis, we can help and support you through your journey thanks to the generous donations we receive. Click the link below to sign up and become a Warrior today!
You can help us with your donation:
Without a Ribbon is a charity that works hard to aid those who suffer from rare cancers. You can help our cause in a variety of ways: