What is Squamous Cell Carcinoma of the Ureter?
Squamous cell carcinoma of the ureter is an extremely rare type of cancer that originates in the squamous cells, which are thin, flat cells found in the tissue that forms the surface of the skin, lining of body cavities and passages. This type of cancer accounts for less than 1% of all ureteral cancers.
Symptoms of squamous cell carcinoma of the ureter may include:
- Blood in the urine (hematuria)
- Pain in the side (flank pain) or lower abdominal pain
- Frequent urination or a persistent urge to urinate
- Weight loss
Disease Aetiology (Causes)
The exact cause of squamous cell carcinoma of the ureter is unknown, although chronic irritation or inflammation of the urinary tract is considered a potential risk factor. Additional factors such as smoking, exposure to certain chemicals, and recurrent urinary tract infections may also contribute to risk.
The diagnosis of squamous cell carcinoma of the ureter often involves:
- Detailed medical history and physical examination
- Urine tests to check for blood or signs of infection
- Imaging tests such as a CT scan, MRI or ultrasound to identify the presence and extent of the tumour
- Biopsy and histopathological examination to confirm the diagnosis
The treatment for squamous cell carcinoma of the ureter typically involves:
- Surgery: The primary treatment, often involves removal of the affected ureter and the kidney on the same side (nephroureterectomy).
- Chemotherapy: May be used before (neoadjuvant) or after (adjuvant) surgery to reduce the risk of recurrence and improve survival.
What Support can we Give for Squamous Cell Carcinoma of the Ureter?
Squamous Cell Carcinoma of the Ureter is rare cancer, meaning it is not as well known as other forms of cancer. Without a Ribbon is an Australian organisation that provides support for individuals who suffer from rare cancers. So, we provide a designated platform for Warriors to obtain information specific to their Rare Cancer. We also provide annual opportunities for our Warriors to meet and learn from each other. If you suffer from rare cancer such as Squamous Cell Carcinoma of the Ureter, we can help and support you through your journey thanks to the generous donations we receive. Click the link below to sign up and become a Warrior today!
You can help us with your donation:
Without a Ribbon is a charity that works hard to aid those who suffer from rare cancers. You can help our cause in a variety of ways: