What is Primary Sclerosing Cholangitis?It is the cancer of the gall bladder and the common bile duct due to inflammatory changes caused by cholestatic liver disease. Cholestatic liver disease is a disease that is produced due to decreased or blocked secretion of bile from the liver.
What is a Gall Bladder?The gallbladder is a small, pear-shaped organ located below the liver on the right side of the abdomen. It stores a digestive fluid called bile fluid, which is secreted by the liver. It is a digestive fluid that helps break down fats, thereby facilitating the digestion process.
Disease CausesThere is no known reason. A certain genetic mutation, along with an immune response to any toxin or infection, is the most likely cause of this. It has also been linked to ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s disease.
Signs and SymptomsThe patient may suffer from the following signs and symptoms. These are
- It is a rare disease and symptoms develop slowly
- Mild pain in the abdomen in the upper right portion
- Abdominal bloating
- Jaundice (yellowish discolouration of the skin and eyes)
- Body itching
- Weak and brittle bones
- Weight loss
- Night sweats
- Feeling tired
DiagnosisThe following laboratory investigations and procedures are required to make the diagnosis.
- Complete blood count (CBC)
- Blood coagulation profile
- BUN ( blood urea and nitrogen)
- Serum creatinine
- Liver function tests LFT’s
- Amylase and lipase values
- Imaging techniques like CT scan, MRI, PET scan, X-Ray, and USG to detect the site and size of the tumour.
- Serum bilirubin total, serum bilirubin conjugated and unconjugated
- Tumour biopsy