What is Pancreatoblastoma?
Pancreatic blastoma is a very rare type of childhood cancer of the exocrine epithelial cells of the pancreas. Pancreatoblastoma usually develops in children and young adults. The mean age at diagnosis of pancreatic blastoma is 5 years. It is a slow-growing tumour and tends to spread to other distant parts of the body. It shows a good prognosis (likely course of the disease) when surgically removed before the spread to the other distant parts of the body
There is no well-known cause; however, a genetic disease known as Beckwith-Wiedemann syndrome is a risk factor for the development of pancreatoblastoma.
Signs and Symptoms
The patient may suffer from the following signs and symptoms. These are
- A palpable (felt able) mass in the abdomen
- Yellowish colour of the skin and eyes
- Unexplained weight loss
- Bleeding with stool (passing defecation)
The following diagnostic tests and procedures can be used to make a diagnosis; these are
- Imaging techniques like CT-scan, MRCP (magnetic resonance cholangiopancreatography), MRI, TUS (transcutaneous ultrasonography), and PET-scan.
- Endoscopic USG
- CBC ( complete blood count)
- BSR( Blood sugar random), Fasting blood sugar, and GTT ( glucose tolerance test)
- Histopathological examination of the pancreatic cell’s tumour
- Raised serum alpha-fetoprotein
The main treatment is surgery (surgical removal of the cancerous part of the pancreas and the other tumour sites). Chemotherapy and radiotherapy are treatment options for advanced metastatic cases.
What Support can we Give for Pancreatoblastoma?
Pancreatoblastoma is rare cancer, meaning it is not as well known as other forms of cancer. Without a Ribbon is an Australian organisation that provides support for individuals who suffer from rare cancers. So, we provide a designated platform for Warriors to obtain information specific to their Rare Cancer. We also provide annual opportunities for our Warriors to meet and learn from each other. If you suffer from rare cancer such as Pancreatoblastoma, we can help and support you through your journey thanks to the generous donations we receive. Click the link below to sign up and become a Warrior today!
You can help us with your donation:
Without a Ribbon is a charity that works hard to aid those who suffer from rare cancers. You can help our cause in a variety of ways: