What is Lymphangiosarcoma?It is a rare type of cancer that occurs with long-term chronic cases of lymphedema (swollen lymph nodes). It can develop from prolonged swelling of the lymph nodes in the arms and legs, but it usually develops due to prolonged swelling of the lymph nodes in the arms.
Disease CausesMassive lymphedema (swollen lymph nodes) of the arms, as well as some immunodeficiency and autoimmune diseases, are the causes of the development of lymphangiosarcoma.
Signs and SymptomsThe patient may suffer from the following signs and symptoms. These are
- Purple coloured hard nodule (mass) in the skin of the arms or legs
- This mass or nodule can become sore
- The tumour can spread to the other lymph nodes and parts of the body from its site of origin
DiagnosisThe following diagnostic techniques and procedures can be used to make a diagnosis these are
- Diagnostic imaging techniques such as USG, CT-scan, MRI, and PET scan can be used to detect the site, size, and extent of the tumour.
- Tumour biopsy and histopathology