What is Desmoplastic Melanoma of the Skin?
Desmoplastic melanoma of the skin is a rare type of skin cancer that develop from the uncontrolled multiplication or division of pigment producing cells of the skin called melanocytes along the fibrous and collagen tissues of the skin. It usually develops on sun exposed areas of the skin such as face, head, neck and limbs in older people.
Desmoplastic melanoma of the skin is more likely to link to the genetic mutations caused by prolonged exposure of skin to the ultraviolet rays of sun. It is more common in people of white ethnicity. It is more common in males as compare to females. It usually develops in older people.
Signs and Symptoms
The patient may suffer from the following signs and symptoms. These are
- Usually the color of the lesion is pink or skin colored but may also have Black, brown or tan colored lesion
- Irregular margin of the lesion or tan on the skin
- Flat or raised area of skin less than 1 cm, plaque (crust like scale on skin) or nodule
- Size of the lesion is usually 1-2 cm and greater than 6 cm on diagnosis
- In deep invaded advance stage of desmoplastic melanoma the lesion may bleed or ulcerated
Diagnosis The following diagnostic techniques and procedures can be used to make a diagnosis. These are
The following diagnostic tests and procedures can be used to make a diagnosis. These are
- Physical examination of the skin to see the site, size, and extent of the tumor
- Biopsy of the lesion and histopathology
- Imaging tests such as MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) to see the extent of the lesion or tumor.
Surgical removal of the tumor is the main treatment option. Other treatment options are radiation therapy and chemotherapy.
What Support can we Give for Desmoplastic Melanoma?
Desmoplastic Melanoma is rare cancer, meaning it is not as well known as other forms of cancer. Without a Ribbon is an Australian organisation that provides support for individuals who suffer from rare cancers. So, we provide a designated platform for Warriors to obtain information specific to their Rare Cancer. We also provide annual opportunities for our Warriors to meet and learn from each other. If you suffer from rare cancer such as Desmoplastic Melanoma, we can help and support you through your journey thanks to the generous donations we receive. Click the link below to sign up and become a Warrior today!
You can help us with your donation:
Without a Ribbon is a charity that works hard to aid those who suffer from rare cancers. You can help our cause in a variety of ways: